Shift is as follows: M-T-W-SA 8pm – 630am, Rotating Holidays
At Emory Healthcare, we integrate science and caring to change the face of health care. Our team members are courageous individuals who are willing to challenge the status quo and help find solutions to complex problems. We’re empowered to influence change for, and with, our patients, their families, the community and each other.
As one of the leading academic medical systems, we’re eager to share what we learn with hospitals around the country, and the world. We’ve got the backing, knowledge, experience and permission to lead the way in developing new and better approaches to preventing and treating disease, and our patients get treatments years before anyone else.
We’re defining a new standard of care for humankind. Are YOU ready to join us?
- Collects, labels and processes patient specimens for testing.
- Maintains computerized records, resolves, and troubleshoots outstanding specimen/collections.
- Maintains the stock of commonly used supplies, performing routine inspections of supply levels to ensure their immediate availability.
- Collects used glassware and processes it through washing and drying procedures.
- Performs quality control checks on clean glassware and distributes the clean glassware to appropriate sections.
- Performs preventive maintenance on equipment. Works with manager to formulate plan for professional development.
- Attends educational in-services as appropriate. Practices universal precautions, barrier protection methods, infection control and isolation procedures when working with body fluids and other contagion to ensure a safe work environment.
- Collects and receives specimens.
Reviews test requisitions and specimen labels for accurate information and orders tests appropriately: follows up on all tests with incomplete information or questionable test orders. Initiates intervention on unacceptable specimens, as needed. *Processes all emergency orders (STATS within the required time frame.
- Preserves the integrity of each sample prior to distributing them to the appropriate department.
- Participates in quality improvement activities as it relates to phlebotomy, processing and transportation of samples.
- Identifies, understands, and documents issues, problems, and opportunities and escalating to supervisory when appropriate. *Performs basic clerical duties as needed. Adheres to strict hospital protocol regarding patient identification; ensures that each patient is positively identified prior to registration procedures and specimen collection.
- Collects patient blood samples by performing venipunctures as ordered and within the prescribed time-frame following strict medical protocol.
- Labels each specimen accurately according to established laboratory procedures prior to processing.
- Gives patients and outreach clients instruction as necessary regarding specimen collection.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer 2 yrs phlebotomy hospital experience.
- Basic computer skills and medical terminology.
- Phlebotomy certificate preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Medium): 20-50 lbs; 0-33% of the work day (occasionally); 11-25 lbs, 34-66% of the workday (frequently); 01-10 lbs, 67-100% of the workday (constantly); Lifting 50 lbs max; Carrying of objects up to 25 lbs; Occasional to frequent standing & walking, Occasional sitting, Close eye work (computers, typing, reading, writing), Physical demands may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Environmental exposures include, but are not limited to: Blood-borne pathogen exposure Bio-hazardous waste Chemicals/gases/fumes/vapors Communicable diseases Electrical shock , Floor Surfaces, Hot/Cold Temperatures, Indoor/Outdoor conditions, Latex, Lighting, Patient care/handling injuries, Radiation , Shift work, Travel may be required. Use of personal protective equipment, including respirators, environmental conditions may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks.
View & Apply